Reporting To: The CA Advisor or Manager
The purpose of the Competent Authority Officer is to make sure the:
- National Control Plan is implemented and documented.
- Work closely with CA Manager or Technical Expertise /Advisor on the management of the CA systems and its performance.
- Plan out the annual inspection including follow-up inspections.
- Carry out inspection of the fishing vessels, landing sites and processing plant and evaluate performance.
- Carry out sampling and testing in a timely manner and review results for further actions.
- Communicate with laboratories for testing purposes and organize for review of labs that the CA uses for testing purposes.
- Produce and sign the Health Certificate for exports that come from facilities licensed by the MIMRA and approved by the CA.
- Maintain the exports and the sampling data bases.
- Work with the Oceanic team on the catch documentation system and processes.
- Produce report of all inspection and keep proper reports of these undertaking including any action taken.
- Participate in all regional training and interventions.
- Keep proper records of all CA undertaking including, CA tools and the maintenance of these equipment and order as necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be required to work with the CA Advisor and the CA Team to draw up the CA yearly work plan
- Participate in the CA budgetary budget planning and process
- Be required to undertake inspection and verification of the processing plants and fishing vessels
- Evaluate performance of the fish processing operations intending to process and export
- Provide reports to these inspections and issue infringements or non -compliance notices
- Undertake sampling and submit samples for analysis
- Participate in vessel boarding, monitoring and sampling as required
- Validate Health Certificate and products prior to approval for exports
- Keep records of all the exports and input into the MIMRA data base
- Participate in meetings and trainings as required for learning and upskilling for the CA work and for the broader work on the CA and in fisheries
- Participate in Laboratory evaluations as required for testing purposes of RMI fish products
- Participate in any National Food Safety tasks initiative and contribute meaningfully
- Provide regular reports of job undertaken when required by management
- Work with the CA advisor and CA Team Members to produce annual CA reports
- Ensure all CA files, and important documents, inspection reports, export certificates among others are filed in proper sequence, regularly updated and stored in a secured location accessible by authorized staff only for retrieval
- Participate in MIMRAs other division meeting and undertakings
- Contribute your skills to enable the enhancement of the CA work and initiatives
- Other Work as delegated by the CA advisor and as requested of the CA officer.
- The CA Work Plans are aligned with the CA Strategic Plan and each officer is responsible to ensure execution of the work plan.
- Each officer is also required to draw up their own work plan based on the CA strategic and know the various scope of the CA work
- The CA officer must contribute to the CA budgetary planning
- The CA officers are required to schedule out inspection for fishing vessels, processing plant and the landing site as per the yearly program and execute them.
- All factory, landing sites and fishing vessels must be evaluated on a regular and scheduled basis to evaluate performance
- Reports be produced for all inspection and be populated in the MIMFIS. Any infringements and non-compliances notices be issued when they are found.
- The CA officers are to schedule all sampling and submit to the relevant laboratories.
- Prior advice must be given to the laboratories before samples are submitted for testing
- The CA officers are to participate in the vessel boarding for inspection as undertake any sampling and monitoring as required
- All Heath Certificate must be validated online though MIMFIS before approval is given
- Physical inspection of exports must be randomly carried out to verify documentation against actual products.
- All records of exports must be securely stored for reference
- The CA officers are to participate in meetings and training that will enhance each and every officer
- The CA officers must understand the process of laboratory evaluation and schedule such evaluations
- CA Officers must collaborate and participate in national food safety initiative
- Regular quarterly reports of the CA activity must be provided on a quarterly basis
- Quarterly newsletters must be provided
- The CA team must contribute, participate and assign clear responsibilities for undertaking this task
- Annual CA reports must be produced and all team members are to participate in this exercise with the CA advisor is asked to do so
- All CA officers JD must include record keeping and record maintenance of all the CA undertakings.
- All such records must be securely stored and accessible only by authorized personal or provided to approved personnel upon request
- All CA documents and files are not to be accessible by non – authorized person
- CA officers are encouraged to participate in MIMRAs division meetings and undertakings
- The CA officers are encouraged to contribute their skill other than what is on the JDs to enhance and achieve the CA work and initiative
- Contribute new ideas and solutions to make it a dynamic
- The CA officers are to be ready to accept any work that the CA manager and or technical expert will request of them.
- Be prepared to learn about the Catch documentation scheme and processes and work with the MCS team on these fronts
Role Related Skills/Capacity
- Understand the operation of fish processing operations
- Understand the regulatory requirements in related to official controls and exports
- Understanding and be versed with the national and international laws and regulation governing the Competent Authority
- Understand and learn about the international market requirements
- Have understanding of laboratory testing requirements for the Competent Authority.
- Has good team work , organizational and planning skills
Communication and Language Skills
- Have good communication skills including public speaking
- Professional language of communication is English
- Must be able to speak Marshallese
- Required language of education and employment is English
- Willing to learn, is committed to his or her work.
- Willing to working long hours and under pressure when required.
- Must be comfortable being part of the team and be able to make presentation and speak when required
- Must have strong work ethics
- Must maintain code of conduct and conduct duties with honesty and integrity.
- Qualification with minimum, Bachelor of Science (Food, Chemistry, Biology), Environmental Science and similar related disciplines.
- Proficient in Excel, Word and can produce quality reports.
- Communication language in English and understands Marshallese
- Experience can be in the Fisheries Industry and environment, Food industry or in Environmental and Health , dealing with food manufacturing and handling.
- Works in a food manufacturing environment and understand exports market requirements.
- Has experience in regulatory environment and understand the requirements for seafood exports.
- Has experience in the fisheries science or has worked in a fisheries related environment
- Please visit our website www.mimra.com for job descriptions under the Opportunity tab or visit MIMRA Building located at Delap for applications.